Friday, August 18, 2006

Honey, We're Killing the Kids!




I feel like I have access to all sorts of secret information. That isn't the case, of course, but what the average person doesn't know could actually kill them.

For example, in addition to increasing the risk of obesity in adulthood, childhood obesity is the leading cause of pediatric hypertension, is associated with Type II diabetes mellitus, increases the risk of coronary heart disease, increases stress on the weight-bearing joints, lowers self-esteem, and affects relationships with peers. Some feel that social and psychological problems are the most significant consequences of obesity in children. You certainly won't find that kind of information on the food labels in your cupboard.

Gratefully, programs like TLC's 'Honey, We're Killing the Kids', and movies like Morgan Spurlock's 'Super Size Me' have aimed the spotlight on this crisis.

Don't get me wrong - you'll still catch me eating cotton candy at the Annual Fourth of July Carnival in Bristol. And Ben will still have his 3 Munchkins when Mommy is picking up her weekly caffeine injection. BUT, these things are on top of a well rounded, healthy diet - not in place of one.

So which comes first, good nutrition or actual physical activity? Do you have to do both - can't you just pick one? I mean, who has enough time to get it all right?

Howie Mandel once said, "I've decided to get into shape. The shape I've chosen is a triangle." All I know is that the shape I am not going for is zeppelin - or is it zeppoli? No matter - they're both bad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home