Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Motivation 101

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing--that's why we recommend it daily.

- Zig Ziglar, motivational speaker


Motivation is a difficult thing - one day it's there and the next day, well, not so much. It's hard to keep the momentum going when life constantly gets in the way of our plans.

Personally, I need accountability. I need to have something planned or scheduled and preferably, it's with someone else so I can't just bail. Someone is expecting me. I can come up with a million excuses not to do something if it's just me, but paying for a class or having an appointment with a trainer or nutritionist, or even knowing a walking buddy is waiting at the corner - the guilt would eat me alive.

And speaking of guilt, it is a tool to be used when trying to motivate others. I motivated my grandmother to quit smoking years ago simply by asking her why she did it. I dangle my children in front of my parents as the carrot to stay healthy and active for as long as possible. It's not fair, but it does work!

What's your motivation? What makes you get up and get moving? What keeps the cake in the fridge and not in your mouth? Tell us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home